Albanian PM slams `Tunisia-style` revolt, calls counter demo
Tirana: Albanian Prime Minister Sali
Berisha on Saturday slammed the opposition for a "Tunisia-style"
revolt and called for counter demonstrations as opposition
leaders vowed to continue their protest.
Berisha accused the socialist opposition of wanting "a
Tunisian-style scenario for Albania" by staging "a coup to
seize power by force".
Tens of thousands of people took to the streets for an
anti-government protest called by the socialist opposition
The demonstration ended with violent clashes between
protesters and the police and three people were killed.
Longtime Tunisian leader Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was
ousted in mid-January amid street protests and fled to Saudi
The clashes in Albania yesterday marked the first time
opposition protests had ended in violence since a political
crisis erupted here after disputed 2009 general elections.
"I call on Albanians to gather Wednesday in Tirana to
protest against the violence, it will be a big demonstration
against violence", Berisha told a press conference.
His call came shortly after opposition leader Edi Rama
vowed that the anti-government protests would continue.
"After the mourning period we will start the protest
again," Rama, who is also the mayor of Tirana, said to a news agency on Saturday.
It is unclear when the anti-government protests will
start again as two of the victims are still in the morgue and
it is not known when they will be buried.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way