Alert train driver saves 300 lives in Australia
Sydney: An alert train driver in Australia averted a disaster and saved at least 300 lives when he stopped the train just 20 metres ahead of a break in the rail track, officials said.
Investigations are on into the incident to determine why the Melbourne-Sydney train was incorrectly routed to a track undergoing maintenance, the Herald Sun reported.
The passenger train was travelling at about 80 km per hour when the driver saw a maintenance vehicle. He managed to apply the brakes and the train came to a halt.
"It wouldn`t have stopped. People would have lost their lives," said Mark Marotta of the Rail, Tram and Bus Union.
The driver and maintenance crew were badly shaken by the incident, officials said.
The Australian Rail Track Corporation has initiated a full internal investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'