Alexei Navalny vows to win Moscow elections
Zee Media Bureau
Moscow: Alexei Navalny, the Russian opposition leader who was released from jail, has reportedly declared that he will contest elections for Mocow mayor and win.
A Russian court had convicted Navalny of embezzlement and sentenced him to five-years. However, he was permitted to travel to Moscow as the appeal against the sentence is still pending, as per a BBC report.
The release, under the condition that he won`t travel outside Moscow, will extend until appeals of his conviction are completed.
Navalny, a popular blogger and corruption-fighting lawyer, rose to prominence among the opposition during a series of massive protests in Moscow against President Vladimir Putin`s re-election to a third presidential term in March 2012.
The conviction prompted criticism from the United States and the European Union.
Navalny began his rise to prominence by blogging about his investigations into corruption at state-owned companies where he owned shares, reaching hundreds of thousands of people.
He and his team of lawyers and activists have plumbed property registers abroad to identify top officials and lawmakers who own undeclared foreign assets and hold foreign citizenship.
Navalny`s blog quickly became an Internet sensation not only because of his exposures but because of its engaging illustrations, funny images and witty catch phrases. It was Navalny who first called the dominant United Russia party "the party of crooks and thieves", a phrase that still dogs Kremlin loyalists.
The opposition leader`s investigations targeted a wide circle of Putin loyalists, from members of Parliament to state bankers, threatening to discredit the system of governance he has built.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'