Alexei Navalny vows to win Moscow elections
Zee Media Bureau
Moscow: Alexei Navalny, the Russian opposition leader who was released from jail, has reportedly declared that he will contest elections for Mocow mayor and win.
A Russian court had convicted Navalny of embezzlement and sentenced him to five-years. However, he was permitted to travel to Moscow as the appeal against the sentence is still pending, as per a BBC report.
The release, under the condition that he won`t travel outside Moscow, will extend until appeals of his conviction are completed.
Navalny, a popular blogger and corruption-fighting lawyer, rose to prominence among the opposition during a series of massive protests in Moscow against President Vladimir Putin`s re-election to a third presidential term in March 2012.
The conviction prompted criticism from the United States and the European Union.
Navalny began his rise to prominence by blogging about his investigations into corruption at state-owned companies where he owned shares, reaching hundreds of thousands of people.
He and his team of lawyers and activists have plumbed property registers abroad to identify top officials and lawmakers who own undeclared foreign assets and hold foreign citizenship.
Navalny`s blog quickly became an Internet sensation not only because of his exposures but because of its engaging illustrations, funny images and witty catch phrases. It was Navalny who first called the dominant United Russia party "the party of crooks and thieves", a phrase that still dogs Kremlin loyalists.
The opposition leader`s investigations targeted a wide circle of Putin loyalists, from members of Parliament to state bankers, threatening to discredit the system of governance he has built.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Asaram Bapu shown as 'saint' in Rajasthan school book
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown