Algerian ambassador to Libya leaves after armed siege
Algiers/Tripoli: Algerian Ambassador to Libya Abdel Hamid Bu Zaher has left Tripoli after an armed siege, a Libyan security official said Friday.
Gunmen surrounded the Algerian embassy Thursday night threatening to kidnap the ambassador, but the attempt failed after Libyan security forces intervened, Xinhua quoted the official as saying.
He added that security forces escorted the ambassador and some diplomats until they left the airport in Tripoli returning to Algeria.
An Algerian security source said that a Libyan armed group linked to Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb had planned to abduct the Algerian ambassador as a swap for Libyan militants detained in Algerian prisons.
Earlier, the Algerian foreign ministry said that its embassy in Tripoli had been temporarily closed over threats against its diplomatic staff.
A couple of Arabian diplomats in Libya have been abducted by extremist groups, the latest of whom was Jordan`s ambassador who was released in mid-May after the Jordanian authorities agreed to release a Libyan salafist militant involved in a terror case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...