Algerian ambassador to Libya leaves after armed siege
Algiers/Tripoli: Algerian Ambassador to Libya Abdel Hamid Bu Zaher has left Tripoli after an armed siege, a Libyan security official said Friday.
Gunmen surrounded the Algerian embassy Thursday night threatening to kidnap the ambassador, but the attempt failed after Libyan security forces intervened, Xinhua quoted the official as saying.
He added that security forces escorted the ambassador and some diplomats until they left the airport in Tripoli returning to Algeria.
An Algerian security source said that a Libyan armed group linked to Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb had planned to abduct the Algerian ambassador as a swap for Libyan militants detained in Algerian prisons.
Earlier, the Algerian foreign ministry said that its embassy in Tripoli had been temporarily closed over threats against its diplomatic staff.
A couple of Arabian diplomats in Libya have been abducted by extremist groups, the latest of whom was Jordan`s ambassador who was released in mid-May after the Jordanian authorities agreed to release a Libyan salafist militant involved in a terror case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened