Algerian ambassador to Libya leaves after armed siege
Algiers/Tripoli: Algerian Ambassador to Libya Abdel Hamid Bu Zaher has left Tripoli after an armed siege, a Libyan security official said Friday.
Gunmen surrounded the Algerian embassy Thursday night threatening to kidnap the ambassador, but the attempt failed after Libyan security forces intervened, Xinhua quoted the official as saying.
He added that security forces escorted the ambassador and some diplomats until they left the airport in Tripoli returning to Algeria.
An Algerian security source said that a Libyan armed group linked to Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb had planned to abduct the Algerian ambassador as a swap for Libyan militants detained in Algerian prisons.
Earlier, the Algerian foreign ministry said that its embassy in Tripoli had been temporarily closed over threats against its diplomatic staff.
A couple of Arabian diplomats in Libya have been abducted by extremist groups, the latest of whom was Jordan`s ambassador who was released in mid-May after the Jordanian authorities agreed to release a Libyan salafist militant involved in a terror case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report