Algerian attack reminder of al Qaeda threat: Obama
Washington: Condemning the terrorist attack in Algeria, US President Barack Obama has blamed terrorists for the tragedy and said attack is another reminder of the threat posed by Al Qaeda and other violent extremist groups in North Africa.
Today, the thoughts and prayers of the American people are with the families of all those who were killed and injured in the terrorist attack in Algeria.
The blame for this tragedy rests with the terrorists who carried it out, and the United States condemns their actions in the strongest possible terms," Obama said in a statement yesterday.
The United States, he said, has been in constant contact with Algerian officials and stand ready to provide whatever assistance they need in the aftermath of this attack.
"We also will continue to work closely with all of our partners to combat the scourge of terrorism in the region, which has claimed too many innocent lives," he said.
"This attack is another reminder of the threat posed by Al -Qaeda and other violent extremist groups in North Africa. In the coming days, we will remain in close touch with the Government of Algeria to gain a fuller understanding of what took place so that we can work together to prevent tragedies like this in the future," Obama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video