Algerian dies after setting self on fire: Official
Algiers: An Algerian man has died after setting himself on fire, a local official said on Sunday, the first death in a wave of self-immolations apparently inspired by one that set off a revolt in Tunisia.
Karim Bendine, 35, died Saturday in a hospital in Douera, a suburb of Algiers, where he was admitted earlier this week with most of his body covered in third-degree burns, a local municipal official said.
Bendine had set himself alight near the town hall of Dellys outside of the capital for unknown reasons.
Local officials said that he was mentally ill and that it was an isolated case unrelated to a recent spate of suicide attempts in Algeria.
Growing public anger over unemployment and rising costs have sparked protests and a string of attempted public suicides in Algeria.
Seven other Algerians have set themselves on fire since January 12, apparently inspired by the self-immolation in Tunisia of 26-year-old Mohammed Bouazizi, whose protest suicide against unemployment unleashed a wave of violent protests that ended in the ouster of strongman Zine Al Abidine Ben Ali.
Algerian police clashed with pro-democracy protesters in the capital on Saturday, leaving multiple casualties, as they blocked a march on Parliament.
The opposition said at least 42 people had been injured during the clashes, including two seriously. The Interior Ministry put the number of injured at 19, including 11 protesters or passers-by, and eight police.
Earlier this month, violent protests in Algeria resulted in five people dead and more than 800 injured.
In a bid to calm public anger, the government ordered a drop in basic food prices and pledged to continue subsidising wheat, milk and electricity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?