Algerian forces kill 20 alleged militants: Report
Algiers: A newspaper says that Algerian security forces have killed 20 members of an al Qaeda splinter group who were allegedly about to attack a fuel tanker.
A newspaper, considered close to Algerian security services, reported that a convoy carrying members of the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa was hit Sunday near the Malian border. Monday`s report cited local security forces.
The raid could complicate efforts to free seven Algerian diplomats believed to be in the hands of the movement, which has fought the Algerian government for the last two decades.
The diplomats were taken from a consulate in northern Mali when militants stormed the building in early April as Tuareg rebels swept across the northern part of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's tour of Zimbabwe and West Indies: BCCI selection committee to announce squads today
- Narendra Modi in Iran: PM invokes India's 'civilisational ties', aims to boost economic, cultural partnership
- IPL 2016, Match 56: Virat Kohli's RCB earn playoffs spot, to face Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1
- Jorge Lorenzo pips Marc Marquez to Italian MotoGP win
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg celebrates his wedding anniversary in a 'musical' way! - See pic