Algerian security forces kill 10 militants: Report
Algiers: Algerian security forces have killed 10 Islamist rebels in an ambush, state radio reported on Sunday.
The security forces, acting on a tip off, ambushed the insurgents on Saturday in the region of M`sila, 400 km (250 miles) east of Algiers, the radio report said. It said that a "large quantity" of weapons had been seized during the operation.
Insurgents operating under the name al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb carry out sporadic bombings and kidnappings in Algeria, though the level of violence has subsided dramatically in the past few years.
Officials say that they have killed or captured hundreds of the insurgents while many others have been persuaded to lay down their arms, leaving only a small hardcore of active fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report