Algerian suicide attack wounds 29
Tizi Ouzou: A suicide bomber attacked a police headquarters in the Algerian city of Tizi Ouzou early on Sunday, injuring 29 people, the official APS news agency reported.
The attacker tried to drive a Toyota Hilux pick-up truck packed with explosives into the police headquarters at 4:30 a.m., it said.
Algeria`s El Watan newspaper reported on its Internet site that four Chinese citizens and a baby were among those wounded.
Tizi Ouzou lies about 100 km (60 miles) east of the Algerian capital. It is the capital of the mountainous Kabylie region, where al Qaeda`s north African wing has a stronghold.
A journalist in Tizi Ouzou said the site of the blast was quickly cleared up by the authorities, but that buildings near to the police headquarters had broken windows as a result of the explosion.
A similar suicide attack in 2008 targeted the headquarters of the police intelligence unit in Tizi Ouzou.
Algeria, a North African energy exporter, is still emerging from nearly two decades of conflict between security forces and Islamist militants that killed an estimated 200,000 people.
In the past three years violence has subsided, with suicide bombings on targets in built-up areas becoming rare. Sunday`s attack, though, was the second of its kind in two months.
Two people were killed in July when a security bomber struck a police headquarters in the town of Bordj Maniel, a short distance west of Tizi Ouzou.
A few days later, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, as the group`s North African wing is known, issued a communique saying it carried out the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir