Algeria`s Bouteflika nominated for 4th term: party
Algiers: Algeria`s 76-year-old President Abdelaziz Bouteflika was today designated his party`s candidate in the 2014 presidential election, despite having been largely unseen for months because of health woes.
Bouteflika, in power since 1999, returned home in July after nearly three months in France recovering from a mini-stroke, and presided over a cabinet meeting on September 29 for the first time this year.
Today`s announcement was made by Bouteflika`s National Liberation Front (FLN), which has 208 seats in the 462-seat national assembly.
"The central committee has chosen the president of the party, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, to be the FLN candidate in the next presidential election," said a party statement issued after a meeting in the capital.
"The choice was a natural one given the positive assessment" of his three terms as Algerian head of state, FLN head Ammar Saidani said in a speech at today`s meeting.
Bouteflika has not himself spoken of being a candidate in 2014.
A limit on the number of consecutive presidential terms was removed by a constitutional amendment in November 2008, allowing Bouteflika to stand for a third term in office.
Saidani today insisted that the FLN decision to propose Bouteflika as its candidate in next year`s election was constitutional.
"The former US president Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected four times, and he was in a wheelchair," he said.
"Mr Bouteflika`s period of convalescence, which is coming to an end, does not legally prevent our president from seeking a fourth term in office," Saidani said.
Several members of the FLN central committee boycotted today`s meeting.
They called it illegal because of Saidani`s controversial election as chief at an August meeting in which only some 273 out of 340 members of the central committee were present.
Saidani said 288 members of the central committee attended today`s meeting.
The gathering also urged Bouteflika to speedily revise the constitution to consolidate reforms announced in April 2011 to head off any spillover of Arab Spring violence.
Those reforms were seen by the opposition as timid at best.
One of the few remaining veterans of the war of independence against France, Bouteflika came to power after helping to end the country`s civil war in the 1990s.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in