Ali Larijani defends Iran’s nuclear policy
Tokyo: Iran was within its international
obligations when it enriched some of its uranium stockpile
earlier this month and should not be subjected to UN sanctions
over its nuclear programme, its parliament speaker said on Thursday.
Ali Larijani, speaking in Tokyo, said Iran has been
unfairly singled out for pressure and threats by the United
States over its development of nuclear technology, which he
said was peaceful and intended solely to provide a source of
"I say clearly, we will develop nuclear power for
peaceful purposes, but not seek nuclear weapons," said
Larijani, who is also a top aide to Supreme Leader Ayatollah
"We have enriched our uranium within international
regulations. I don`t see why it is such an issue."
Tehran produced its first batch of uranium enriched to a
higher level earlier this month, prompting the US and its
allies to seek new UN Security Council sanctions.
The West accuses Iran of seeking to build atomic weapons,
and fears the enrichment of its uranium stockpile is a step in
Iran is already subject to three sets of Security Council
sanctions meant to punish its refusal to stop uranium
Its recent rejection of a plan to strip it of most of its
enriched stockpile plus its belated acknowledgment it had been
secretly building a new enrichment facility has increased
sentiment for a fourth set.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter