All 14 on helicopter reported killed in Peru crash
Hualla-Hualla: Rescue specialists reached a helicopter that crashed in the southeastern Andes, but there were no survivors among the 14 people on aboard, including eight South Koreans and three Europeans, Peruvian police said.
A police commander who went to the crash site, Raul Aybar, told a news agency that the aircraft "crashed into the snowy Mama Rosa and exploded" on Saturday.
"Everyone died in the initial impact because everything is burned and scattered," Aybar said after returning to the nearest city, Ocongate.
Another member of the police rescue team, Brigadier Roberto Larrea, also told the news agency that no one survived.
Aybar said operations at the crash site had been suspended until Sunday because of bad weather and darkness. He said temperatures had dropped to minus-15 Celsius.
Peru`s police chief, Gen Raul Salazar, told the Radioprogramas radio station earlier that searchers found "some parts of the helicopter that have been scattered up to 200 meters (yards) by the force of impact”.
Authorities said the crashed Sikorsky S-58ET was found at an attitude of roughly 4,900 metres.
Police said a Dutchman, a Czech, a Swede, eight Koreans and three Peruvians, including the pilot and co-pilot, were on the helicopter.
The South Korean embassy in Lima said its nationals were exploring a potential hydroelectric project near Mazuco.
South Korea`s Foreign Ministry said three of the Koreans worked for Samsung C&T and one was an employee for the state-run Korea Water Resources Corp. It gave no details on the four other Koreans.
Korea Water said in a statement on its website that its vice president left to go to Peru on Friday. Samsung C&T said it sent a team of officials to Lima on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you