All Christians urged to wear cross
London: Britain`s most senior Roman Catholic cleric has urged Christians to wear a cross every day, following a number of cases in which people say their employers have barred them from doing so.
Cardinal Keith O`Brien, leader of the Catholic Church in Scotland, will call in his Easter Sunday homily for Christians to "wear proudly a symbol of the cross of Christ on their garments each and every day of their lives".
"I know that many of you do wear such a cross of Christ, not in any ostentatious way, not in a way that might harm you at your work or recreation, but a simple indication that you value the role of Jesus Christ in the history of the world, that you are trying to live by Christ`s standards in your own daily life," he will say in a service in the Scottish capital Edinburgh.
"I hope that increasing numbers of Christians adopt the practice of wearing a cross in a simple and discreet way as a symbol of their beliefs."
Two British women are fighting to get their cases heard at the European Court of Human Rights on the grounds that they were discriminated against when their employers stopped them from wearing the cross.
British Airways employee Nadia Eweida was suspended by the airline for breaching its uniform code in 2006. Shirley Chaplin was barred from working on the wards on a hospital in Exeter, southwest England, after refusing to hide a cross she wore on a necklace chain.
An Interior Ministry spokesman told the BBC: "People should be able to wear crosses. The law allows for this, and employers are generally very good at being reasonable in accommodating people`s religious beliefs."
The outspoken O`Brien recently blasted the British government`s plan to permit civil gay marriage, calling it "madness" and a "grotesque subversion". (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack