All options on table to prevent Iran`s nuclearisation: White House
Washington: The US would not let Iran acquire a nuclear weapon and would use all its power in its arsenal to achieve this goal, the White House said on Monday.
"The President`s position unequivocally is that he is committed to preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon," White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, told reporters at a news conference.
"We share that view with Israel and Israel`s leadership in a way that has been made clear again and again. That`s why the president has pursued the policy that he has, that has put, together with our international partners, unrelenting pressure on Iran to abide by its international obligations and to forsake its nuclear weapons ambitions," he said.
The US, he said, believes in an effort that is focused on punitive sanctions to isolate and pressure Iran and on diplomacy to bring about a change in behaviour.
"But we`ve also made clear that the window of opportunity for reaching a solution by that means will not remain open indefinitely and that the president retains all options on the table in the pursuit of his commitment to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon," Carney asserted.
Carney said the US has extensive and ongoing conversations and contact with Israel on this issue, as well as a wide variety of other security-related issues.
"We have the most comprehensive security and intelligence relationship with Israel in history, as attested to by not just leaders from this administration, but from the Israeli government," he said.
"The President is committed to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, and he will use every tool in the arsenal of American power to achieve that goal," Carney said in response to a question.
"It is not fruitful as part of this process to engage in that kind of specificity," he added.
"What we know is that we have eyes into the programme, we are aware of developments, and we would know if there were a so-called breakout move by Iran toward the building of a nuclear weapon. And that has not happen," he said.
"There remains time, based on the information that we have, and we and the Israelis share back and forth, to continue to pursue the two-pronged effort.
"But the President has always made clear that he retains all options and that he will use and have available to him all the tools of American power as necessary to deal with this very serious issue," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!