Alleged Russian arms dealer pleads not guilty
New York: Russia`s so-called "Merchant of Death”, accused of running a global arms empire, pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges on Wednesday, after he was extradited by Thailand against Moscow`s wishes.
"He will plead not guilty," a lawyer for Viktor Bout, 43, told a New York federal court.
Judge Shira Scheindlin ordered Bout detained until a hearing on January 10. He faces a maximum penalty of life in prison and minimum of 25 years if found guilty.
Bout is charged with attempting to sell Colombia`s FARC rebels an arsenal of surface-to-air missiles and infantry weapons between November 2007 and March 2008.
US prosecutors allege he ran one of the world`s most extensive arms trafficking networks and was trapped in a 2008 sting operation in which he believed he was selling a large arsenal to Colombia`s FARC narco-guerrillas, designated a terrorist organisation by Washington.
The FARC representative he allegedly thought he was meeting in Bangkok was in fact a US undercover agent from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Despite his allegedly lucrative weapons empire, Bout insisted to the judge that he needed a court-appointed lawyer.
According to Preet Bharara, US attorney for Manhattan, Bout planned to sell FARC more than 700 surface-to-air missiles, 5,000 Kalashnikov assault rifles, landmines, millions of rounds of ammunition, and ultra-light airplanes that could be fitted with weaponry.
"It was an arsenal that would be the envy of some small countries," Bharara told a news conference.
Bout arrived in New York late Tuesday after a dramatic exit from Thailand, which only agreed to his extradition after two years of legal battles, during which it was subject to intense pressure from both Moscow and Washington.
US Attorney General Eric Holder called Bout`s capture "a victory for the rule of law worldwide”, while Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos told reporters in Bogota that Bout "should pay”.
But Russia said the burly, moustachioed Bout had been subjected to an "illegal extradition”.
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow would support Bout "by all means" from "extreme injustice" and called for the US to grant him full consular access without delay.
"They (the United States) are obliged to fulfil international norms. We expect that this will be done urgently," the Interfax news agency quoted him as telling reporters in the Nigerian capital Abuja.
"If there is a delay in the consular access then this will be another violation of the norms of international rules which have already been broken more than once in this case," he added.
This latest row, which follows one over the US authorities` unmasking of a Russian spy ring earlier this year, has further disrupted President Barack Obama`s efforts to build closer ties with Moscow.
Bout, a former Soviet air force officer, said to speak six languages and operate under even more aliases, insists he is a legitimate businessman.
Washington however alleges that the arms he has sold or brokered have fuelled conflicts and supported warring regimes in Afghanistan, Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone and Sudan.
His clients have allegedly included the Taliban and al Qaeda, with payments allegedly running from hard cash to blood diamonds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users