Allies must confer closely: US general to Israel
Jerusalem: The United States` top general, on a flying visit to Israel to meet top officials, on Friday urged more cooperation between the allies, who share a concern over Iran`s nuclear program.
"We have many interests in common in the region in this very dynamic time and the more we can continue to engage each other, the better off we`ll all be," General Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was quoted as saying by the Israeli Defence Ministry.
In a visit set to last a few hours, Dempsey was meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defence Minister Ehud Barak, Israel`s military chief, Lieutenant-General Benny Ganz, and President Shimon Peres.
The United States, which is leading Western pressure on Tehran to curb controversial uranium enrichment, has voiced concern that Israel could attack their foe pre-emptively and deepen instability in an already volatile region.
Dempsey said last November he did not know whether Israel would alert the United States beforehand if it decided to take military action against Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days