Allow intl agencies to see Panchen Lama: Tibetan Parl to China
Dharamsala: The Speaker of the Tibetan parliament-in-exile, Pempa Tsering, has said that China should allow international agencies to see the Panchen Lama, the successor of their spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
Tsering was reacting to a statement made by the new Chinese-appointed governor of Tibet, Padma Choling, an ethnic Tibetan appointed in January on Sunday that the Panchen Lama is safe and is living in Tibet.
"If they (Chinese) are really serious about what they are saying, I think they should allow international agencies, neutral agencies to see how he (Panchen Lama) is staying, what kind of studies he is getting. And, we are for sure that he is not in Tibet, that`s for sure, must be somewhere in China, if he is alive, that we don`t know. So, there`s no evidence and as long (as) there is no evidence we don`t see anything new in what they have stated so far," Tsering said.
The Dalai Lama`s selection of the Panchen Lama, a six-year-old boy, led to Beijing swiftly picking him up and taking him away.
Human rights groups dubbed the child as "the world`s youngest political prisoner".
Tsering further said that if such statements about the Panchen Lama are made by China, then they should be supported with evidence.
"We have always been demanding that if they are making such statements it should come up with evidence, it should come with proof, at least have some photographs to say that this is Panchen Lama and he is studying and so. Even if they can`t divulge where he is studying, at least they can say that he is safe and there should be some photograph or evidence or if possible there should be neutral people to go and meet him and his family," he said.
China has defended its iron-fisted rule in Tibet, saying not only did it free a million Tibetan serfs but it also poured billions of dollars into the Himalayan region for development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset