Almost 100 killed in Uganda clashes since weekend: Army
Kampala: At least 96 people have been killed in four days of clashes between tribal gunmen and Ugandan troops in the west of the country, the army said on tuesday.
"Since the operation began we have killed 75 attackers," army spokesman Ninsiima Rwemijuma in the Rwenzori region told AFP.
Five soldiers, five policemen and 11 civilians were also killed, making up a total of 96 dead in the mountainous and rural region which borders Democratic Republic of Congo.
Attackers, who police said were armed with machetes, spears and guns, launched a series of surprise attacks Saturday and Sunday, with the army sending in extra troops.
Fighting is ongoing, although the army says it is now only between its forces and the insurgents.
"We expect no more civilians dying because we have deployed enough forces on the ground and neutralised attacks," Rwemijuma said.
Ugandan police say the attacks are ethnic battles, with the local majority Bakonzo people trying to kill the minority Basongora people, because of "long-standing differences of culture and over land," police spokesman Fred Enanga told AFP.
"There is a tribal conflict, some of the Bakonzo do not want the minority groups recognised as kingdoms within what they perceive to be the larger Kingdom of Rwenzori, with Bakonzo the dominant tribe," Enanga added.
The death toll is feared to rise further.
"The number of the attackers killed during contact with our forces or dying due to wounds may go up," Rwemijuma said.
"Some may have escaped with gunshot wounds, and that is why we are engaging sniffer dogs to flush out those who may be injured and hiding, or just hiding to avoid detection."
Security forces have arrested over 80 suspected fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?