Ambush in northern Nigeria kills 30 policemen
Abuja: At least 30 Nigerian security personnel were killed in an ambush by a local militia in the country`s central Nasarawa state, official sources has said.
The victims were among the nearly 60 officers, who were on a mission to arrest the leader of the Ombatse cult when its gunmen opened fire at them, commissioner of police in Nasarawa state Abayomi Akeremale told reporters here on Thursday.
Apart from the deceased, Akeremale said 17 officers were still missing after the ambush.
The group was "outlawed" as its members go to churches and mosques to force people to take an oath to adhere to the group and its teachings.
The attack came a few days after the militants of radical Islamic sect Boko Haram attacked an Army base, a police station and prison in Bama and Bankai towns in Nigeria`s northern state of Borno leaving 55 people dead.
Boko Haram has been a major terrorist group in Nigeria which has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings.
The group wants to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria, an oil rich African country with a population of 150 million people equally shared between the two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened