American killed in Yemen for alleged proselytising
Taiz: Militants in Yemen have killed an American teacher to protest Christian proselytising by Westerners.
Provincial governor Hamoud al-Sufi says Joel Shrum, a teacher at a language institute, was shot to death on Sunday by two gunmen dressed in military uniforms on a motorcycle. Shrum, who was from the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, area, had been working at the International Training Development Centre for two years.
The school released a statement denying that Shrum was proselytising and saying that he "highly respected" Islam.
The school says Muslims and Christians work together on "human development, skill transfer and community development" projects and that religious and political debates are not permitted.
Shrum was in Yemen with his wife and two children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj