American killed in Yemen for alleged proselytising
Taiz: Militants in Yemen have killed an American teacher to protest Christian proselytising by Westerners.
Provincial governor Hamoud al-Sufi says Joel Shrum, a teacher at a language institute, was shot to death on Sunday by two gunmen dressed in military uniforms on a motorcycle. Shrum, who was from the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, area, had been working at the International Training Development Centre for two years.
The school released a statement denying that Shrum was proselytising and saying that he "highly respected" Islam.
The school says Muslims and Christians work together on "human development, skill transfer and community development" projects and that religious and political debates are not permitted.
Shrum was in Yemen with his wife and two children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh