American marries Mexican on river border between countries
Nuevo Laredo (Mexico): A US citizen married her Mexican fiancee on a raft on the river border between their two countries, a unique ceremony designed to meet US immigration requirements.
Stephanie Guerra, 26, and Ruben Alfonso Fierro, 27, defied the swirling currents of the Rio Grande and boarded a Zodiac raft that took them from the Mexican border town of Nuevo Laredo to the United States Wednesday.
Guerra is a US citizen, but Fierro is not. The couple have four young children, all US citizens. Fierro had been living for years in the United States but had not legally immigrated.
When he temporarily left the country, he was not allowed to return.
The fastest way for the family to reunite was to tie the knot in the United States.
Guerra and Fierro cleverly took advantage of an 1848 treaty that allows free navigation for both sides along the Rio Grande, the river that forms nearly half of the 3,200 kilometre (2,000 mile) long US border with Mexico.
Judge Hector Liendo from Laredo, Texas climbed aboard the couple`s raft -- in the river but technically in US territory -- and held the ceremony that legally bound the couple until death does them apart.
US law enforcement personnel stood nearby just to make sure that none of the people aboard the raft, which included Mexican relatives, did not set foot on US soil.
While binational couples have married on bridges between the two countries for years, this is the first time that a marriage takes place on the Rio Grande river, according to the Big River Foundation, the US-based environmentalist group that sponsored the event.
Fierro told reporters that the marriage will now make it easier for him to legally immigrate to the United States and return to his family.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler