Americans, behave yourselves: Obama tells US media
Pretoria: One element of President Barack Obama`s Africa policy is to encourage a free press, although he offered repeated reminders for US reporters travelling with him on the continent to be on their best behaviour.
"Americans, behave yourselves," he needled today as a contingent of US and South African media was pulled from a quick photo op with President Jacob Zuma.
Obama spoke just before their joint news conference and may have been trying to suggest his press corps keep its questions tight.
Today, both US and South African reporters asked multi-part questions. Obama didn`t try to cut anyone off, but instead said the US press corps must be happy the news conference was taking place in a wood-paneled chamber inside Pretoria`s grand Union Buildings.
"This is much more elegant than the White House press room," Obama said, referring to the more cramped media quarters in the West Wing. "It`s a big improvement."
He kept up the theme of a long-winded US press at the start of his meeting with African Union Commission Chairwoman Dlamini-Zuma.
"I might take some questions, except earlier in the press conference you guys asked 4-in-1 questions," a grinning Obama teased.
At his earlier stop in Senegal, Obama apologised to host President Macky Sall on behalf the American media.
"Sometimes my press -- I notice yours just ask one question," Obama said. "We try to fit in three or four or five questions in there."
Minutes before that comment, Obama had praised democratic progress in Senegal, specifically mentioning "a strong press" as part of that movement. However, the first Senegalese reporter to be called on lobbed a softball, simply asking Sall to describe the visit and any new prospects it posed for Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail