`Americans prefer Obama over Romney for White House`
Washington: Almost 49 percent Americans prefer to vote for President Barack Obama in the White House race, according to a new poll.
According to The Wall Street Journal and NBC poll, Republican contender Mitt Romney is preferred by almost 43 percent Americans.
In the presidential race, Obama leads Romney by six percentage points among Americans, the Politico reports. In a smaller sample of registered voters living in 12 battleground states (Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin), the incumbent president’s lead over Romney by eight points, 49 to 41, which is essentially unchanged from June.
But among high-interest voters across the country, those indicating a “9” or “10” in interest on a 10-point scale, Romney edges Obama by two points, 48 percent to 46 percent. What remains remarkable about this presidential contest, according to the NBC/WSJ pollsters, is how stable it has been, despite everything that has occurred in the past month.
For example: The U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding Obama’s health care overhaul; the June jobs report, which showed that just 80,000 jobs were created last month; and the daily campaign attacks and counterattacks (including snipes over Obama’s business views, Romney’s unreleased tax returns, and the Republican’s time at Bain Capital).
The pollsters tell NBC and the Journal that the race is getting more polarized as the campaign turns more and more harshly negative. That`s notable because of what it means for the playing field the candidates are competing on, but also may shed some light on the Obama campaign`s move this week away from acid negative ads and toward direct-to-camera messages from the candidate himself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"