Americans see US as `exceptional` country: Poll
Washington: Americans widely agree that the US has a unique character because of its history and Constitution that sets it apart from others as the "greatest" nation in the world, but they also believe that it is at risk of losing its stature, a latest opinion poll has said.
This view, commonly referred to as `US exceptionalism`, is shared by at least 73 percent of Americans in all party groups, including 91 percent Republicans, the USA Today/Gallup poll said.
At the same time, Americans are also inclined to believe that this status of the country is far from secure, according to the December 10-12 poll.
Three-quarters of those who believe the US is exceptional (62 percent of all Americans) also believe the US is currently at risk of losing its unique character, it said.
"The poll does not delve into possible reasons why Americans think the United States` stature is at risk. It is possible this viewpoint reflects Americans` tendency to see national conditions as getting worse rather than improving," it said.
On the whole, Americans, by 58 percent to 37 percent believe President Barack Obama thinks the US is exceptional, consistent with what he and his advisers maintain.
But Americans are less likely to believe Obama holds this view than they are to think the same about Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and George W Bush.
According to the poll, 66 percent of the respondents said the United States has "a special responsibility to be the leading nation in world affairs”.
Republicans, Democrats and independents generally agree, with fairly modest differences among party supporters, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25