America`s relationship with China is very complex: White House
Washington: With China`s alleged unfair trade practices popping up as a major election issue in the US, the White House Monday said Washington`s relationship with Beijing is a "complex" one wherein the two countries have vast areas of co-operation and areas of disagreement.
The Obama administration said it would not hesitate to take strong action against the alleged unfair trade practices of China which harms to American businesses and manufacturing sector.
"The (US) President (Barack Obama) believes that we have an extremely important broad relationship with China. And there are significant vast areas of cooperation and there are areas of disagreement," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
"The President makes clear, and has made clear, since he took office that when there are clear indications of unfair trade practices, that harm American workers, or harm American companies, his administration will take action," he said.
"That was true with imports of Chinese tires, and it`s been true of, I believe, eight actions taken up at the World Trade Organisation," he added.
"And that`s the President`s commitment... He believes that if we have a trading relationship that`s fair, that allows for fair competition by American companies and American workers, that that`s beneficial for both countries and it`s certainly beneficial for the American economy and American workers. And that`s his approach," Carney said.
However, it does not mean the US cannot continue to cooperate with China as they have on a variety of issues, he stressed.
"Our relationship is very complex, it is very broad and it is very deep, and the president is committed to all aspects of it, and he is committed to making clear through the actions that he`s taken and in his conversations with Chinese leaders where we disagree and where we need to remedy inequities that have existed in the past that have put American workers and American companies at a disadvantage," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown