Ami Bera creates history, wins Congressional elections
Washington: Ami Bera on Friday won the Congressional election from California, creating history by becoming only the third Indian-American ever to have been elected for the US House of Representatives.
While the counting of votes is still going on, local daily Sacramento Bee said that Bera has defeated incumbent Republican Dan Lungren for the election to California`s Seventh Congressional District held on November 6.
The Sacramento County Registrar of Voters announced today that Bera increased his lead against Lungren in the race and is now ahead by 2.2 per cent and leads by 5,696 votes.
Bera`s lead has widened with each new count.
On November 6, Bera had a lead of just 184 votes, thus necessitating the counting of provisional and absentee ballots. His lead grew to 3,800 votes on Tuesday.
"Today`s update shows that we`ve processed another 38,510 ballots since Tuesday`s update. This leaves an estimated 7,782 vbm and of course the 31,000 provisional ballots left to process," the County Registrar said.
Next update is scheduled for Monday.
"It`s increasingly clear that the voters of Sacramento County want new leadership that puts the people first. Our lead continues to widen and we are confident that this election will be resolved in our favour," said Bera in a statement.
He is currently in Washington for an orientation course for new lawmakers, which incidentally is being led by Lungren.
Bera would be only the third Indian-American to have ever been elected to the House of Representatives after Dalip Singh Saund in the 1950s, and Bobby Jindal in 2005 and 2008, who is now the Governor of Louisiana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister