Ami Bera creates history, wins Congressional elections
Washington: Ami Bera on Friday won the Congressional election from California, creating history by becoming only the third Indian-American ever to have been elected for the US House of Representatives.
While the counting of votes is still going on, local daily Sacramento Bee said that Bera has defeated incumbent Republican Dan Lungren for the election to California`s Seventh Congressional District held on November 6.
The Sacramento County Registrar of Voters announced today that Bera increased his lead against Lungren in the race and is now ahead by 2.2 per cent and leads by 5,696 votes.
Bera`s lead has widened with each new count.
On November 6, Bera had a lead of just 184 votes, thus necessitating the counting of provisional and absentee ballots. His lead grew to 3,800 votes on Tuesday.
"Today`s update shows that we`ve processed another 38,510 ballots since Tuesday`s update. This leaves an estimated 7,782 vbm and of course the 31,000 provisional ballots left to process," the County Registrar said.
Next update is scheduled for Monday.
"It`s increasingly clear that the voters of Sacramento County want new leadership that puts the people first. Our lead continues to widen and we are confident that this election will be resolved in our favour," said Bera in a statement.
He is currently in Washington for an orientation course for new lawmakers, which incidentally is being led by Lungren.
Bera would be only the third Indian-American to have ever been elected to the House of Representatives after Dalip Singh Saund in the 1950s, and Bobby Jindal in 2005 and 2008, who is now the Governor of Louisiana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September