Amnesty calls on Canada to arrest Bush
Ottawa: Amnesty International on Wednesday called
on Canadian authorities to arrest and prosecute George W Bush,
saying the former US president authorised "torture" as he
directed the US-led war on terror.
Bush is expected to attend an economic summit in Surrey
in Canada`s westernmost British Columbia province on October
London-based Amnesty made a case for Bush`s legal
responsibility for a series of human rights violations in a
memorandum submitted last month to Canadian authorities but
only now released to the media.
"Canada is required by its international obligations to
arrest and prosecute former president Bush given his
responsibility for crimes under international law including
torture," Amnesty`s Susan Lee said in a statement.
"As the US authorities have, so far, failed to bring
former president Bush to justice, the international community
must step in. A failure by Canada to take action during his
visit would violate the UN Convention Against Torture and
demonstrate contempt for fundamental human rights." Lee said.
Amnesty, backed by the International Civil Liberties
Monitoring Group, says Bush authorised the use of "enhanced
interrogation techniques" and "waterboarding" on detainees
held in secret by the Central Intelligence Agency between 2002
The detention programme included "torture and other
inhuman and degrading treatment (such as being forced to stay
for hours in painful positions and sleep deprivation), and
enforced disappearances," it alleged.
Amnesty`s memorandum cites several cases of alleged
torture of individuals detained at the Guantanamo Bay naval
facility, in Afghanistan and in Iraq, by the US military.
They include that of Zayn al Abidin Muhammed Husayn
(known as Abu Zubaydah) and 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, both arrested in Pakistan, and subjected to at least 266
applications of waterboarding between them from 2002 to 2003,
according to the CIA inspector general, cited by Amnesty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song