Amnesty calls on Canada to arrest Bush
Ottawa: Amnesty International on Wednesday called
on Canadian authorities to arrest and prosecute George W Bush,
saying the former US president authorised "torture" as he
directed the US-led war on terror.
Bush is expected to attend an economic summit in Surrey
in Canada`s westernmost British Columbia province on October
London-based Amnesty made a case for Bush`s legal
responsibility for a series of human rights violations in a
memorandum submitted last month to Canadian authorities but
only now released to the media.
"Canada is required by its international obligations to
arrest and prosecute former president Bush given his
responsibility for crimes under international law including
torture," Amnesty`s Susan Lee said in a statement.
"As the US authorities have, so far, failed to bring
former president Bush to justice, the international community
must step in. A failure by Canada to take action during his
visit would violate the UN Convention Against Torture and
demonstrate contempt for fundamental human rights." Lee said.
Amnesty, backed by the International Civil Liberties
Monitoring Group, says Bush authorised the use of "enhanced
interrogation techniques" and "waterboarding" on detainees
held in secret by the Central Intelligence Agency between 2002
The detention programme included "torture and other
inhuman and degrading treatment (such as being forced to stay
for hours in painful positions and sleep deprivation), and
enforced disappearances," it alleged.
Amnesty`s memorandum cites several cases of alleged
torture of individuals detained at the Guantanamo Bay naval
facility, in Afghanistan and in Iraq, by the US military.
They include that of Zayn al Abidin Muhammed Husayn
(known as Abu Zubaydah) and 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, both arrested in Pakistan, and subjected to at least 266
applications of waterboarding between them from 2002 to 2003,
according to the CIA inspector general, cited by Amnesty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read