Amnesty calls on Canada to arrest Bush
Ottawa: Amnesty International on Wednesday called
on Canadian authorities to arrest and prosecute George W Bush,
saying the former US president authorised "torture" as he
directed the US-led war on terror.
Bush is expected to attend an economic summit in Surrey
in Canada`s westernmost British Columbia province on October
London-based Amnesty made a case for Bush`s legal
responsibility for a series of human rights violations in a
memorandum submitted last month to Canadian authorities but
only now released to the media.
"Canada is required by its international obligations to
arrest and prosecute former president Bush given his
responsibility for crimes under international law including
torture," Amnesty`s Susan Lee said in a statement.
"As the US authorities have, so far, failed to bring
former president Bush to justice, the international community
must step in. A failure by Canada to take action during his
visit would violate the UN Convention Against Torture and
demonstrate contempt for fundamental human rights." Lee said.
Amnesty, backed by the International Civil Liberties
Monitoring Group, says Bush authorised the use of "enhanced
interrogation techniques" and "waterboarding" on detainees
held in secret by the Central Intelligence Agency between 2002
The detention programme included "torture and other
inhuman and degrading treatment (such as being forced to stay
for hours in painful positions and sleep deprivation), and
enforced disappearances," it alleged.
Amnesty`s memorandum cites several cases of alleged
torture of individuals detained at the Guantanamo Bay naval
facility, in Afghanistan and in Iraq, by the US military.
They include that of Zayn al Abidin Muhammed Husayn
(known as Abu Zubaydah) and 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, both arrested in Pakistan, and subjected to at least 266
applications of waterboarding between them from 2002 to 2003,
according to the CIA inspector general, cited by Amnesty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe