Amnesty urges Russia to release feminist punks
Moscow: Amnesty International has called for
the immediate release of three members of a Russian feminist
punk band who face up to seven years in prison for performing
in a church.
The global human rights watchdog said it did not know if
the detained women were in fact members of the Pussy Riot band
because the group performed all its protest songs wearing
"Even if the three arrested women did take part in the
protest, the severity of the response of the Russian
authorities... would not be a justifiable response to the
peaceful -- if, to many, offensive -- expression of their
political beliefs," Amnesty International said in a statement
"They would therefore be prisoners of conscience."
Five members of the radical group climbed on the altar of
Moscow`s Christ the Saviour Cathedral -- the country`s central
place of worship -- on February 21 and sang a song they called
a "Punk Prayer" before being seized by guards.
The song`s lyrics called for the Virgin Mary to "drive out
(president-elect Vladimir) Putin" and to "become a feminist".
The three women have been charged with hooliganism
committed by an organised group -- an unusually harsh charge
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what