Amplats reinstates 12,000 South African strikers
Johannesburg: A spokeswoman for Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) says the company has agreed to reinstate 12,000 workers dismissed earlier this month for staging a wildcat strike.
Mpumi Sithole said today the workers had until Tuesday to return to their jobs. She said they will return on the same terms and conditions of employment as before they went on strike.
Sithole said that a meeting yesterday of "all parties expressed commitment for a return to work in the interests of the employees, their livelihoods and the company."
Amplats` announcement came on the day South Africa`s trade federation staged a march in support of the fired workers in Rustenburg.
If the Amplats miners return to work, it would bring an end to labor unrest that damaged South Africa`s reputation as an investment destination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown