ANC leader makes derogatory remarks about Indians
Johannesburg: A minority rights body in South
Africa has charged firebrand youth wing leader Julius Malema
of the country`s ruling African National Congress with making
derogatory remarks against Indians.
The South African Minority Rights Equality Movement
(Samrem) has brought `crimen injuria` charges against Malema
for alleged defamatory remarks about Indians.
Crimen injuria is a crime under South African common law,
defined to be the act of "unlawfully, intentionally and
seriously impairing the dignity of another."
Samrem laid the charge after Malema referred to "amakula",
an indigenous language derivative of the word "coolie" at a
recent public gathering.
The word "amakula" has been constitutionally outlawed in
But Malema, who had previously apologised for using the
word without knowing that it caused offence, has offered to
meet with Samrem, comprising largely South African members, to
discuss what he called "misperceptions" over his use of the
Samrem convener Ashen Singh said Malema had contacted the
organisation to indicate his willingness to discuss the
matter, adding that if there was consensus, the charges
against him would be dropped.
Malema is currently awaiting the outcome of a two-month
long disciplinary hearing for bringing the ANC into disrepute.
The hearings concluded on Sunday and the keenly awaited
outcome is expected later this week.
Analysts said Malema was likely to face serious
sanction, as he had a suspended sentence hanging over his head
at the time of his second offence.
"(Malema`s actions) was one of the reasons the ruling
party is losing support among the Indians and Coloureds (mixed
race)," Singh said, referring to the ANC`s maiden loss since
the first democratic elections in 1994 to the Opposition
Democratic Alliance in several largely Indian residential
areas during elections in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'