ANC only true hope for most South Africans: Zuma
Cape Town: African National Congress (ANC) "remains the only true hope for majority of our people, particularly the poor and the working class", President Jacob Zuma said Saturday.
His remarks came as results confirmed ANC`s victory in the 2014 elections.
In a speech to the nation, Zuma said the ANC will use its majority to implement policies and programmes that further improve the quality of life of all, especially the poor, Xinhua reported.
"We will use this victory to continue delivering water, electricity, roads, schools, clinics, good schools and all amenities that enable our people to live in decent human settlements, in both urban and rural areas," Zuma said.
According to final results released by the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), the ANC won 62.15 percent of the votes, leaving far behind the biggest opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) which got 22.23 percent of the votes.
"This election victory has re-confirmed just how deeply rooted the ANC is in the hearts and minds of the overwhelming majority of South Africans," Zuma said.
"We read this vote of confidence to be a strong sign of approval of the good work that we have done in the past twenty years in general and the last five years in particular, in building a better life for all," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months