Ancient Mayan city dating 600 AD unearthed in Mexican jungle
Washington: Pyramidal structures, palace remains, ballgame courts, plazas and sculpted monuments have been discovered in the Mexican jungle, revealing one the largest sites in the Central Maya Lowlands.
Named Chactun, meaning " Red Stone" or "Great Stone," the previously unknown Mayan city covers more than 54 acres in the southeastern state of Campeche.
According to Mexico`s National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), its vast size suggests the city was a seat of government between 600 and 900 A.D, Discovery News reported.
Hidden for centuries in the jungle on the north of the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve, Chactun is part of an area covering more than 1,150 square miles.
That region has remained a "total blank" on the Mayan archaeological map, Slovenian archaeologist Ivan Sprajc said.
Starting from 1996, the Archaeological Reconnaissance Project in Southeastern Campeche identified 80 sites using large-scale aerial photography, but Chactun was largely ignored.
More recently, the photographs of the northern part of the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve were examined.
Getting to the site wasn`t a easy task - the archaeologists led by Sprajc had to make their way through the tropical forest by cutting vegetation along a long abandoned lumberers` trail.
They found a site rich with buildings, plazas and pyramidal structures, with the tallest one measuring more than 75 feet.
Consisting of three monumental complexes standing in the west, southeast and northeast, the site featured a large number of stelae (tall sculpted stone shafts) and altars (low circular stones).
Sprajc and his team named the city after one of the 19 stelae recovered so far.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know