Ancient Mayan city dating 600 AD unearthed in Mexican jungle
Washington: Pyramidal structures, palace remains, ballgame courts, plazas and sculpted monuments have been discovered in the Mexican jungle, revealing one the largest sites in the Central Maya Lowlands.
Named Chactun, meaning " Red Stone" or "Great Stone," the previously unknown Mayan city covers more than 54 acres in the southeastern state of Campeche.
According to Mexico`s National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), its vast size suggests the city was a seat of government between 600 and 900 A.D, Discovery News reported.
Hidden for centuries in the jungle on the north of the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve, Chactun is part of an area covering more than 1,150 square miles.
That region has remained a "total blank" on the Mayan archaeological map, Slovenian archaeologist Ivan Sprajc said.
Starting from 1996, the Archaeological Reconnaissance Project in Southeastern Campeche identified 80 sites using large-scale aerial photography, but Chactun was largely ignored.
More recently, the photographs of the northern part of the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve were examined.
Getting to the site wasn`t a easy task - the archaeologists led by Sprajc had to make their way through the tropical forest by cutting vegetation along a long abandoned lumberers` trail.
They found a site rich with buildings, plazas and pyramidal structures, with the tallest one measuring more than 75 feet.
Consisting of three monumental complexes standing in the west, southeast and northeast, the site featured a large number of stelae (tall sculpted stone shafts) and altars (low circular stones).
Sprajc and his team named the city after one of the 19 stelae recovered so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm