Ancient Mayan city dating 600 AD unearthed in Mexican jungle
Washington: Pyramidal structures, palace remains, ballgame courts, plazas and sculpted monuments have been discovered in the Mexican jungle, revealing one the largest sites in the Central Maya Lowlands.
Named Chactun, meaning " Red Stone" or "Great Stone," the previously unknown Mayan city covers more than 54 acres in the southeastern state of Campeche.
According to Mexico`s National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH), its vast size suggests the city was a seat of government between 600 and 900 A.D, Discovery News reported.
Hidden for centuries in the jungle on the north of the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve, Chactun is part of an area covering more than 1,150 square miles.
That region has remained a "total blank" on the Mayan archaeological map, Slovenian archaeologist Ivan Sprajc said.
Starting from 1996, the Archaeological Reconnaissance Project in Southeastern Campeche identified 80 sites using large-scale aerial photography, but Chactun was largely ignored.
More recently, the photographs of the northern part of the Calakmul Biosphere Reserve were examined.
Getting to the site wasn`t a easy task - the archaeologists led by Sprajc had to make their way through the tropical forest by cutting vegetation along a long abandoned lumberers` trail.
They found a site rich with buildings, plazas and pyramidal structures, with the tallest one measuring more than 75 feet.
Consisting of three monumental complexes standing in the west, southeast and northeast, the site featured a large number of stelae (tall sculpted stone shafts) and altars (low circular stones).
Sprajc and his team named the city after one of the 19 stelae recovered so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Beyonce dominates MTV Video Music Awards 2016
- Five reasons why you should take a brisk walk every single day!
- Sushma Swaraj calls on Myanmar President
- HEINOUS! Woman set on fire in Delhi for allegedly rejecting marriage proposal
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha