Angela Merkel calls for `strong UK with strong voice inside EU`
London: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday urged Britain to stay in the European Union, saying the bloc would be a stronger force in the world with London`s voice.
But Merkel, in a speech to the British parliament, played down Prime Minister David Cameron`s hopes of reforms to the EU before a referendum on Britain`s membership in 2017.
Addressing lawmakers in English and German, Merkel said a united EU could be a "model for other regions of the world. This and nothing less than this should be our common goal".
She added: "In order to maintain this goal we need a strong United Kingdom with a strong voice inside the European Union. If we have that we will be able to make the necessary change for the benefit of us all."
Merkel is due to discuss EU reform with Cameron during a lunch meeting at the prime minister`s Downing Street residence, before having tea with Queen Elizabeth II.
The chancellor said she was aware there were high expectations from her speech to members of the House of Commons and House of the Lords, the first by a German leader since president Richard von Weizsaecker`s address in 1986.
But she said she was "caught between the devil and the deep blue sea" in terms of what she could offer.
"I have heard some expect my speech to pave the way for a fundamental reform of European architecture which will satisfy all kinds of alleged or actual British wishes. I am afraid they are in for a disappointment," Merkel said.
"I have also heard that others are expecting the exact opposite and are hoping that I will deliver the clear and simple message here in London that the rest of Europe is not prepared to pay almost any price to keep Britain in the European Union.
"I am afraid these hopes will be dashed too."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire