Angela Merkel visits France after re-election
Paris: German Chancellor Angela Merkel travelled to Paris Wednesday to meet French President Francois Hollande after being re-elected for a third term, with the aim of "starting now a new step" in relations between the two countries.
The first foreign trip of her third term as chancellor emphasized "the special importance of Franco-German relations", Xinhua quoted Merkel as saying at a news conference in the Elysee Palace after meeting Hollande.
Germany and France have already "worked together very closely in recent months" and "we can start now a new step", she said, adding that the two countries will hold a summit in February next year to deepen bilateral relations.
"We all want to let Europe step forward and make it a strong continent of the world," she said ahead of a European Union (EU) summit due to take place Thursday and Friday in Brussels, where European leaders will discuss a planned banking union and France`s military mission in Africa.
Hollande congratulated Merkel on her re-election and the formation of the new German government.
"We have a common horizon, which should become a common agenda," he said, "because Europe needs the relationship between France and Germany, a relationship of trust, a relationship strong and a relationship open".
On Tuesday, Merkel was re-elected in a vote in Germany`s lower house of Parliament for a third term. Her coalition government will lead the country for the next four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez