Angelina Jolie condemns US church`s plan to burn Quran
Islamabad: Hollywood star Angelina Jolie,
currently touring flood-hit areas of Pakistan to drum up
support for victims, on Wednesday condemned a US church`s plan to
burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11 terrorist
"I have hardly the words (to oppose the fact) that
somebody would do that to somebody`s religious book," Jolie
told a news conference in Islamabad after visiting reliefs
camps in northwest Pakistan, one of the areas hit hardest by
Asked if she supported American pastor Terry Jones`
plan to burn the Islamic holy book, she replied: "Of course
not, of course not."
The move by Jones, who heads the little-known Dove
World Outreach Center in Florida, has sparked concerns about
heightened Christian-Muslim tensions in the US and other parts
of the world, especially the Middle East.
The pastor has said he plans to go ahead despite the
Jolie, who is visiting Pakistan to highlight the
plight of millions affected by the country`s worst floods and
the need for continuing aid for the displaced, welcomed the US
government`s opposition to Jones` plan.
The planned Quran burning has triggered protests in
neighbouring Afghanistan, where US troops are battling Taliban
US military commanders have warned that the move could
endanger American lives in Afghanistan.
In a statement, the US embassy in Islamabad condemned
the Florida church`s plans to burn copies of the Koran on the
anniversary of 9/11.
"We condemn acts that are disrespectful, intolerant
and divisive. We are deeply concerned about all deliberate
attempts to offend members of any religious or ethnic group,"
said charge d`affaires Stephen C Engelken.
"We believe firmly in freedom of religion and freedom
of expression; they are universal rights, enshrined in the US
Constitution and in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
We reaffirm our position that the deliberate destruction of
any holy book is an abhorrent act," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray