Angelina Jolie in Jordan to visit Syrian refugees
Washington: Actress Angelina Jolie is in Jordan to visit Syrians who fled the civil war in their country, the UN refugee agency has said
UNHCR spokesman Ali Bebe said Jolie, the agency’s special envoy, arrived on Monday and will visit Jordan`s first tent city for Syrian refugees on Tuesday.
According to CBS News, Jolie will be accompanied by UN refugee chief Antonio Guterres and Jordanian Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh on the visit to the Zatari camp.
The camp hosts nearly 27,000 Syrians displaced by the 18-month uprising against President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.
The UNHCR in April promoted Jolie from serving as its goodwill ambassador to special envoy due to her work for the agency.
Jolie has contributed USD five million to UN efforts aiding refugees worldwide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes