Anna Chapman`s father had Kremlin connections?
London: Russian spy Anna Chapman`s father, Vasily Kushchenko, worked in Nairobi as a diplomat alongside Sergei Ivanov, Russia`s first Deputy Prime Minister, a career spy and a friend of the country’s Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, according to a report.
According to The Telegraph, Ivanov was a career spy for 18 years, first in the KGB and then in Russia`s SVR foreign intelligence service and was allegedly expelled from the UK for spying activities.
The claim also suggests that her family may also enjoy serious political connections inside the Kremlin.
If confirmed, it will strengthen suspicions voiced by Alex Chapman, Anna`s ex-husband, that she was groomed to be an intelligence agent by her father, who currently works for the Russian Foreign Ministry.
Anna Chapman was married to Alex Chapman, a 30-year-old trainee British psychiatrist in Bournemouth, in 2002, and later divorced in 2006.
The claim came as the 10 self-confessed Russian agents spent their first full day back in Russia at an undisclosed Moscow location, after being deported from the US.
The paper stated that intelligence sources have said that they are probably being thoroughly debriefed by the SVR intelligence service, the agency that ran them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?