Annan briefs top Qatari officials after Syria trip
Doha: UN-Arab League peace envoy on Syria, Kofi Annan, held talks with top Qatari officials on Tuesday after a weekend trip to Damascus where he urged leaders to end the bloodshed there, the official Qatari news agency reported.
Annan, who arrived in Doha yesterday, met with the emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani to "review the developments in Syria," according to a statement released by the QNA news agency.
He also held talks with foreign minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani, during which "a way out of the current crisis" was discussed, the statement said.
Qatar was Annan`s first stop after his two-day mission to Damascus during which he presented "concrete proposals" to President Bashar al-Assad aimed at ending the escalating violence in the country.
More than 8,500 people have died since March last year when Syrians first took to the streets demanding democratic reform and an end to Assad`s regime, according to figures by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'