Annan briefs top Qatari officials after Syria trip
Doha: UN-Arab League peace envoy on Syria, Kofi Annan, held talks with top Qatari officials on Tuesday after a weekend trip to Damascus where he urged leaders to end the bloodshed there, the official Qatari news agency reported.
Annan, who arrived in Doha yesterday, met with the emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani to "review the developments in Syria," according to a statement released by the QNA news agency.
He also held talks with foreign minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani, during which "a way out of the current crisis" was discussed, the statement said.
Qatar was Annan`s first stop after his two-day mission to Damascus during which he presented "concrete proposals" to President Bashar al-Assad aimed at ending the escalating violence in the country.
More than 8,500 people have died since March last year when Syrians first took to the streets demanding democratic reform and an end to Assad`s regime, according to figures by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi