Annan briefs top Qatari officials after Syria trip
Doha: UN-Arab League peace envoy on Syria, Kofi Annan, held talks with top Qatari officials on Tuesday after a weekend trip to Damascus where he urged leaders to end the bloodshed there, the official Qatari news agency reported.
Annan, who arrived in Doha yesterday, met with the emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani to "review the developments in Syria," according to a statement released by the QNA news agency.
He also held talks with foreign minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani, during which "a way out of the current crisis" was discussed, the statement said.
Qatar was Annan`s first stop after his two-day mission to Damascus during which he presented "concrete proposals" to President Bashar al-Assad aimed at ending the escalating violence in the country.
More than 8,500 people have died since March last year when Syrians first took to the streets demanding democratic reform and an end to Assad`s regime, according to figures by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report