Annan urges Syrian govt to lay down arms first
Geneva: An official says UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan is urging the Syrian government to lay down its weapons first in order to immediately end the nation`s crisis.
Ahmad Fawzi, a spokesman for Annan, says "the deadline is now" for Syrian President Bashar Assad to end the fighting but that a deputy to Annan also will demand that the government opponents "lay down their arms and start talking”.
Fawzi told reporters on Friday in Geneva that Annan is "appealing to the stronger party to make a gesture of good faith" to bring an end to more than a year of violence that the UN says has killed over 9,000 people.
Fawzi said Annan is arranging visits to Iran and Saudi Arabia seeking support for his peace plan but that no dates have been fixed yet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!