`Annan`s exit may bring forceful action in Syria`
Moscow: The resignation of UN and Arab League envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan, "opens the gates" for those backing a military intervention into the country to force out the ruling authorities, a Russian minister has said.
Annan, who assumed his post in February and authored a six-point peace plan aimed at ending the Syrian conflict, announced on Thursday that he would quit by the end of the month, citing the deadlock at the UN Security Council over ways to resolve the current political crisis in the country.
"Annan`s decision against extending his mandate as the UN envoy to Syria raises loads of questions regarding the future of this country. He is an honest international mediator but someone wants to push him out of the game to open the gates for forceful actions. This is obvious," Russia`s Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov wrote in his Twitter account on Friday.
Since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives, according to estimates by Syrian opposition groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das