Anne Frank `love story` angers kin
Jerusalem: A steamy affair between famous diarist Anne Frank and one of her neighbours depicted in a new fictitious novel has drawn the ire of the young Holocaust victim`s cousin.
"Annexed”, written by popular British author Sharon Dogar, is a fictional diary belonging to Peter van Pels, the young boy who lived in the same apartment building as the Frank family while they were hiding from Nazis in Amsterdam.
Anne`s first cousin, Buddy Elias, in an interview to `The Sunday Times` has criticised Dogar for what he considers an inaccurate portrait of the two teens, Ha`aretz reported.
"Anne was not the child she is in this book," Elias said adding, "I also do not think that their terrible destiny should be used to invent some fictitious story."
Elias told the British paper that he had heard Anne`s father, Otto Frank, discuss his daughter`s relationship with Peter.
Otto, who died in 1980, is believed by many to have removed passages from his daughter`s diary that he considered "too revealing".
"From what Otto told me about Peter, he was very shy but in this book he is given a character he did not possess," Elias told the newspaper.
Anne`s cousin, who lives in Switzerland, said he had read a draft of Dogar`s book published by Houghton Mifflin.
According to Dogar, the book includes explicit and intimate details about the two, although a scene in which they consummate their relationship was omitted.
Frank wrote her famous diaries between 1942 and 1944. She died of typhus in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in March 1945.
In the new novel, Peter continues writing entries in his diary even after his hiding spot was discovered and he was transferred to Auschwitz and then Mauthausen, where he died just before the end of World War II.
Otto Frank returned to Amsterdam after the Holocaust, where he recovered his daughter`s diaries.
They were published in 1947 and have been translated into 67 languages in what is one of the most widely read diary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!