Anni Dewani murder accused to plead not guilty
Two men accused of killing Brit-Indian bride Anni Dewani intend to plead not guilty when their trial starts in July in South Africa, according to a report.
London: Two men accused of killing Brit-Indian bride Anni Dewani intend to plead not guilty when their trial starts in July in South Africa, according to a report.
Xolile Mngeni and Mziwamadoda Qwabe appeared in court yesterday for the last leg of their pre-trial conference.
The conference has been postponed a number of times since April and is now ready to start on July 30.
Despite having been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour last year, Mngeni was healthy enough to stand alongside Qwabe in the dock.
His lawyer, Matthews Dayimani, has told the court he intended making an application for Mngeni to be referred for observations on whether he can understand court proceedings, which could lead to him being declared unfit to stand trail and possibly having his charges withdrawn.
Anni`s husband, Shrien Dewani is the third co-accused in the case.
The State recently said it would only add him as an accused once he was mentally fit.
Anni, 28, was shot dead in an apparent car hijacking while she and her husband were on honeymoon in Cape Town in November 2010.
Mngeni and Qwabe face charges of kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances, murder and two counts relating to the illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.