Anni Dewani murder: Family begs Shrien to face trial
London: The family of murdered Brit-Indian bride Anni Dewani has begged her husband to end their ‘legal torture’ by agreeing to face justice in South Africa.
The request from Dewani’s family came after another of the men accused of killing the bride admitted to her murder.
On Wednesday, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, one of two men accused of being the hired killers, was jailed for 25 years, after he agreed to a plea bargain that requires him to cooperate with the prosecution.
Meanwhile, Shrien Dewani, 32, who is suspected of ordering the hit on his new wife while on honeymoon in Cape Town 21 months ago, remains in Britain, fighting extradition.
According to the Independent, Anni’s uncle Ashok Hindocha welcomed the guilty plea, but said the family would not know the truth until Shrien travels to South Africa to face trial.
“We are just happy. Two of the accused have now pleaded guilty. Now we want to know what really happened to Anni, why they killed her,” the paper quoted him, as saying.
“The way we feel is that we are going through legal torture. It is extremely stressful for the family,” he said.
“I would have been much, much happier if all the accused were in South Africa and cross-examination took place and the truth could be found. To us, Anni is still not dead,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Mercedes, GE among 'Make in India' investors
- 1st Test, Day 1: Steve Smith-led Australia in driver's seat after bowling out Sri Lanka for 117
- 'Kabali' Rajinikanth follows just one politician on Twitter; he is PM Narendra Modi
- 7th CPC: Govt to set up anomalies committees related to IAS, IPS, IFoS
- WATCH: 17 runs off 1 ball! Virender Sehwag does the impossible against Pakistan