Another 32 bodies found in Mexico: Navy
Mexico City: Another 32 bodies have been
found in three homes in Mexico`s eastern state of Veracruz, where dozens of corpses were dumped on a road in broad daylight last month, the navy had said.
The macabre discovery came two days after the government
announced the deployment of extra police and soldiers to the
Gulf coast state, the site of the latest flare-up of violence
in the country`s brutal drug war.
"The federal government regrets to announce the discovery
of 32 bodies," the navy said in a statement, without providing
An apparent vigilante group calling itself the "Zeta
Killers" claimed responsibility for the killings of the 35
people found on the road last month, saying it was an ally of
authorities against the feared Zetas cartel.
Police said nearly all of those killed in the incident last month were criminals, but have vowed to go after anyone suspected of taking the law into his own hands.
Earlier this week, security officials announced the detention of 32 alleged members of the Zetas, including 18
municipal police officers, in Veracruz.
The Zetas -- set up in the 1990s by ex-elite soldiers
turned hired killers -- are fighting their former allies the
Gulf cartel and others in a growing stretch of Mexico and
Some 41,000 people have been killed since Mexico launched
a major crackdown in 2006 against powerful drug gangs which
are themselves locked in brutal turf wars over lucrative trade
routes from Central America to the United States.
The violence has been marked by a series of grisly
displays of brutality, including kidnappings, beheadings and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31