Another Connecticut school shut down due to suspicious person
New York: As Newtown struggles to cope with the tragedy of the mass shootings in an elementary school, educational institutions in another Connecticut town have been locked down after police received information Monday about a "suspicious" person who could possibly be armed.
Public Schools in Ridgefield, which is about 32-km from Newtown, "have been put in lockdown and there is police presence at each building," the district`s school system said on its website.
It said there were reports at 9 in the morning of a "possibly suspicious person" in the Branchville Train Station area.
Students have been taken to an auditorium in a school and considered to be safe.
State police in Newtown said it was aware of the situation and the police in Ridgefield is at the scene to handle the development.
"I`m aware of that situation in the town of Ridgefield... There`s a report of a suspicious person, a suspicious person that may or may not be armed," Lieutenant Paul Vance of Connecticut State Police told a news conference in Newtown.
The latest report of threats come even as Newtown residents struggle to come to terms with Friday`s shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary school when Adam Lanza stormed into the school armed with assault weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.
Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother Nancy in her apartment before heading to the school where he gunned down 20 first-graders and six staff members, including the school`s principal and psychologist.
President Barack Obama visited Newtown yesterday to console the families of the victims and participating in an inter-faith memorial service said the nation cannot tolerate such tragedies any more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued