Another Frenchwoman fined for driving wearing niqab
Lille (France): French police fined a woman
for driving while wearing an Islamic veil, just weeks after a
similar incident sparked a major political row, officials said
Motorbike police carrying out random alcohol tests
stopped the 23-year-old French national on a minor road near
the northern town of Maubeuge yesterday, officials said.
They at first mistook her for a masked man but when they
saw she was wearing a niqab -- a veil that leaves only the
eyes exposed -- they fined her 35 euros for driving with a
reduced field of vision, a police source said.
The woman, who has not been named, had received her
provisional driving licence just two weeks earlier, the source
In April, a major political row blew up in France after a
woman was fined in the western city of Nantes for driving
while wearing a niqab.
She accused the state of violating her human rights,
while the interior minister sought to have her husband, who he
said may be a polygamist with four wives and 12 children,
stripped of his French nationality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city