Another Frenchwoman fined for driving wearing niqab
Lille (France): French police fined a woman
for driving while wearing an Islamic veil, just weeks after a
similar incident sparked a major political row, officials said
Motorbike police carrying out random alcohol tests
stopped the 23-year-old French national on a minor road near
the northern town of Maubeuge yesterday, officials said.
They at first mistook her for a masked man but when they
saw she was wearing a niqab -- a veil that leaves only the
eyes exposed -- they fined her 35 euros for driving with a
reduced field of vision, a police source said.
The woman, who has not been named, had received her
provisional driving licence just two weeks earlier, the source
In April, a major political row blew up in France after a
woman was fined in the western city of Nantes for driving
while wearing a niqab.
She accused the state of violating her human rights,
while the interior minister sought to have her husband, who he
said may be a polygamist with four wives and 12 children,
stripped of his French nationality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?