Another Qantas plane makes emergency landing in Singapore
Singapore: A Qantas jumbo jet made an emergency landing in Singapore today, the second of the carrier`s aircraft to do in two days, after experiencing engine problems, an airline spokeswoman told AFP.
The Sydney-bound Boeing 747-400 with 412 passengers on board landed safely at Changi Airport without incident, she said.
"Shortly after take-off the captain experienced an issue with one of its engines," the spokeswoman said.
"The aircraft landed safely a short time later without incident."
Changi Airport`s website says the plane, flight QF6, had been scheduled to leave at 7:55 pm (1155 GMT). It was the second incident in as many days involving a Qantas plane.
Yesterday, an Airbus A380 operated by the Australian flag carrier made a dramatic emergency landing in Singapore after an engine failed minutes after taking off on the flight from the city-state to Sydney.
Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said early signs pointed to a "material failure or a design issue" in the Rolls-Royce engines after one exploded just minutes into flight QF32 from Singapore to Sydney yesterday.
The Australian flag carrier immediately grounded its entire fleet of A380 planes after yesterday`s hair-raising incident.
"This is an engine issue and the engines were maintained by Rolls-Royce since being installed on the aircraft," Joyce told reporters in Sydney earlier today.
"We believe that this is most likely some kind of material failure or a design issue... We don`t believe this is related to maintenance in any way."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive