Another Romney gaffe, asks why windows in planes don`t open!
Washington: Gaffe-prone Republican White House hopeful Mitt Romney made yet another blunder at a fundraiser, asking why the windows of an aircraft do not open.
This time, the subject of the gaffe was basic science rather than economics.
Romney was recounting the story of his wife`s emergency landing Friday night at a USD 6 million Beverly Hills fundraiser this weekend, when he began musing out loud about the mechanics of airplane construction.
"When you have a fire in an aircraft, there`s no place to go, exactly, there`s no, and you can`t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don`t open. I don`t know why they don`t do that. It`s a real problem," he was quoted as saying by the News Agency.
"So it`s very dangerous," he continued. "And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and co-pilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she`s safe and sound," he added.
That offhand query, which reporters later clarified was a joke, quickly went viral, with Romney getting widely mocked for his seeming confusion about the basics of cabin pressurisation.
"Science genius Mitt Romney thinks airplane windows should open," read the headline on the political blog Wonkette.
It also spawned the Twitter hashtag #RomneyPlaneFeatures with suggestions for other options the republican presidential candidate may want on his airplanes besides power windows, the New York Daily News reported.
The other suggestions included a plane-top dog carrier, two right wings and a horse trailer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations