Another Romney gaffe, asks why windows in planes don`t open!
Washington: Gaffe-prone Republican White House hopeful Mitt Romney made yet another blunder at a fundraiser, asking why the windows of an aircraft do not open.
This time, the subject of the gaffe was basic science rather than economics.
Romney was recounting the story of his wife`s emergency landing Friday night at a USD 6 million Beverly Hills fundraiser this weekend, when he began musing out loud about the mechanics of airplane construction.
"When you have a fire in an aircraft, there`s no place to go, exactly, there`s no, and you can`t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don`t open. I don`t know why they don`t do that. It`s a real problem," he was quoted as saying by the News Agency.
"So it`s very dangerous," he continued. "And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and co-pilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she`s safe and sound," he added.
That offhand query, which reporters later clarified was a joke, quickly went viral, with Romney getting widely mocked for his seeming confusion about the basics of cabin pressurisation.
"Science genius Mitt Romney thinks airplane windows should open," read the headline on the political blog Wonkette.
It also spawned the Twitter hashtag #RomneyPlaneFeatures with suggestions for other options the republican presidential candidate may want on his airplanes besides power windows, the New York Daily News reported.
The other suggestions included a plane-top dog carrier, two right wings and a horse trailer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'