Another US varsity under scanner for visa fraud
Washington: Authorities in US have raided
offices of another university on the charges of fraud, this
time in the suburb of Washington, where 90 per cent of the
students are from India.
In a day-long exercise, dozens of officials from
different federal agencies, including Immigration and Customs
Enforcement and FBI, yesterday raided offices at the
University of Northern Virginia`s Annandale campus and took
away with them a large number of boxes full of documents and
computer hard drives from its administrative division.
"Today, officials from ICE`s Student and Exchange
Visitor Programme (SEVP) served UNVA with a Notice of Intent
to Withdraw (NOIW) UNVA`s authorisation to admit foreign
students," ICE spokeswoman Cori W Bassett in a statement.
Based in Annandale, Virginia, a suburb of Washington,
the university is believed to have 2,400 students of which 90
per cent are from India, of which an overwhelming majority are
said to be from Andhra Pradesh.
The university declined to make any comment, neither
did it communicated with its students and staff, except for
posting a notice on its entrance informing that the university
is still open, but students have the choice to move to other
varsities or look for other options if they want.
The university temporarily can`t accept any foreign
students, reads the notice posted on the door of the offices.
UNVA students must leave the country immediately if
they are unable "to continue to attend classes and maintain
their active status in a manner required by federal government
regulations," the notice reads.
Earlier in January, US authorities raided and shut
down Tri-Valley University in California on charges of massive
immigration fraud, leaving over a thousand Indian students`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city