Another woman in terror-linked arrest in UK
London: A woman was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of terrorism offences as part of an intelligence-led operation in which six persons were held on Thursday, but police said the drill was not linked to the upcoming Olympics in the British capital.
Scotland Yard said that the officers from the Counter Terrorism Command this morning arrested the 22-year-old woman at a residential address in the London borough of Hackney.
The woman was held "on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism”.
On Thursday, five men and a woman were arrested from west and east London, including from a residential area near the Olympics stadium.
The arrests came ahead of the July 27 to August 13 Olympic Games in the UK.
However, the police said the anti-terror operation "is not linked to the Olympic and Paralympic Games”.
"Public safety remains our overriding concern," a police statement said.
While the name of the woman arrested today has not been released, neighbours named three men - brothers - arrested on Thursday near the Olympics stadium.
One of them, Jahangir Alom, is a former police community support officer of Bangladeshi origin. His two brothers, Moybur Alom and Alomgir Alom, were also arrested.
He was not deployed in a specialist or sensitive role, the police said.
Among those arrested on Thursday was Richard Dart, a white man who had converted to Islam some time ago, and used the new name Salahuddin Al Britani.
The names were revealed by neighbours to the media. All six arrested on Thursday remain in custody at a south-east London police station.
Warrants of their detention granted at Westminster Magistrates` Court expire on July 12, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar