Another woman in terror-linked arrest in UK
London: A woman was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of terrorism offences as part of an intelligence-led operation in which six persons were held on Thursday, but police said the drill was not linked to the upcoming Olympics in the British capital.
Scotland Yard said that the officers from the Counter Terrorism Command this morning arrested the 22-year-old woman at a residential address in the London borough of Hackney.
The woman was held "on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism”.
On Thursday, five men and a woman were arrested from west and east London, including from a residential area near the Olympics stadium.
The arrests came ahead of the July 27 to August 13 Olympic Games in the UK.
However, the police said the anti-terror operation "is not linked to the Olympic and Paralympic Games”.
"Public safety remains our overriding concern," a police statement said.
While the name of the woman arrested today has not been released, neighbours named three men - brothers - arrested on Thursday near the Olympics stadium.
One of them, Jahangir Alom, is a former police community support officer of Bangladeshi origin. His two brothers, Moybur Alom and Alomgir Alom, were also arrested.
He was not deployed in a specialist or sensitive role, the police said.
Among those arrested on Thursday was Richard Dart, a white man who had converted to Islam some time ago, and used the new name Salahuddin Al Britani.
The names were revealed by neighbours to the media. All six arrested on Thursday remain in custody at a south-east London police station.
Warrants of their detention granted at Westminster Magistrates` Court expire on July 12, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray